Associate of Applied Science – Surgical Technology
Become part of the operating room environment!
- AS Surgical Tech PDF
- Gain the necessary knowledge and skills required to practice in the operating room environment.
- Students study topics that include hospital organization, safety and legal issues, anatomy and physiology, aseptic technique, surgical procedures.
- Program Features:
- Live online virtual lectures you can attend with classmates.
- Support of a live faculty member.
- All lectures are recorded for you to review later.
- Traditional classroom feel with the safety and flexibility of online.
- Additionally, our program includes an externship where you will have the opportunity to experience the Surgical Technology profession firsthand, working closely with patients, doctors, administrators and other healthcare personnel.
- Note – Courses requiring a lab, simulation and externship placement may be delayed until later in the program due to COVID-19
- 700 new Surgical Technologists jobs will be added in Arizona from 2014-2024.(1)
- 21% growth in Arizona from 2014-2024 which is much faster than the national average for all occupations.(1)
- Surgical technologists, also called operating room technicians or scrub techs are an integral part of the healthcare team, working under the supervision of a surgeon assisting in surgical operations.
- About 70 percent of Surgical Technologists work in hospitals.(2)
- Surgical Centers
What classes will I take?
Here are just a few classes you will take during the Surgical Technology program:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Introduction to Surgical Technology
- Surgical Techniques
What are typical class hours?
Here are just a few of the classes you will take during the Surgical Technology Program:
Anatomy and Physiology
Introduction to Surgical Technology
71.5 CREDITS – 1610 CLOCK HOURS – 91 WEEKS
The Surgical Technology program is designed to provide students with the necessary knowledge and skills required to practice in the operating room environment. The surgical technologist is an integral part of the operating room team. Surgical technologists work under the supervision of a surgeon and an operating room nurse to ensure that the operating room environment is safe, equipment is functioning properly and that during the operative procedure all team members are maximizing patient safety. Students study topics that include hospital organization, safety and legal issues, anatomy and physiology, aseptic technique, surgical procedures. Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will have acquired the skills required for entry-level positions in a variety of settings.
Brookline College prepares students in the Surgical Technology diploma program to take certification and/or licensure exams related to their program of study.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the Surgical Technology diploma program, graduates will contribute to the areas of:
- Discuss the responsibilities of the Surgical Technologist and show sensitivity to diversity in this field.
- List the qualities that a surgical technologist should possess and explain patient confidentiality.
- Demonstrate communication and interpersonal skills in the OR when relating to others.
- Describe how to meet basic human needs in relation to patients and families along with describing safety measures in the health care facility.
- Define and interpret medical terminology, describe surgically treated diseases and disorders of the body system, and define and identify structural characteristics of basic anatomy and Physiology, general regions of the human body, and principles of cellular functions.
- Describe the organization of the surgical suite, methods of chemical and physical disinfecting of the surgical environment, and the surgical technologist legal responsibilities in the handling of drugs, solutions, and medications.
- Identify the composition of the surgical team, OSHA requirements relating to patient and staff safety, and methods of patient transportation. State the purpose of patient identification, the purpose of the consent, and responsibilities of informed consent.
- Categorize the team members according to the scrubbed and “unscrubbed” along with applying the principles of aseptic technique as it relates to infection.
- Demonstrate proficiencies in gowning, gloving, identifying and applying the proper surgical attire, and masking along with basic techniques of surgical draping the surgical regions.
- They will obtain CPR in accordance with American Heart Association.
- Perform sponge, needle, and instrument counts before, during, and after a procedure.
- List and describe various suturing procedures, identify various surgical instruments according to surgical procedures, and describe the various roles of the scrubbed and “unscrubbed” personnel.
Residential Program Requirements:
|Program Concentration – 49.5 Credits – 1275 Contact Hours||Credit Hrs||Lecture Hrs||Lab Hrs||Practicum|
|STM 101 Introduction to Surgical Technology||5.5||75||25||0|
|STM 102 Principles and Practice of Surgical Technology I||5.5||75||25||0|
|STM 103 Principles and Practice of Surgical Technology II||5.5||75||25||0|
|STM 200 Surgical Techniques I||4||25||75||0|
|STM 201 Surgical Techniques II||4||25||75||0|
|STM 202 Surgical Techniques III||4||25||75||0|
|STM 203 ST Clinical Externship||12||0||0||540|
|General Education -12 Credits -180 Contact Hours||Credit Hrs||Lecture Hrs||Lab Hrs||Practicum|
|Open Soc Science - Social/Behavioral Science (Psych)||3||45||0||0|
|Open Soc Science – Social/History/Political Science||3||45||0||0|
|Additional Course Requirements -19 Credits - 290 Contact hours||Credit Hrs||Lecture Hrs||Lab Hrs||Practicum|
|BIO 175 Anatomy & Physiology I||3||45||0||0|
|BIO 180 Anatomy & Physiology II||3||45||0||00|
|HA 100 Medical Terminology||3||45||0|
|MCR 130 Introduction to Microbiology||3||45||0||0|
|PD 299 Professional Development||3||45||0||0|
|SS 100 Student Success||3||45||0||0|
|CST 101 CST Prep Class||1||20||0||0|
Your education is a big investment and Brookline College believes no investment offers more potential. A new career can transform your life, and we’re here to help you make that happen.
- At Brookline College there are no hidden costs. Our tuition includes books, supplies and all fees.
- Tuition: Please call or click Request Info to determine your cost.
- Program length: 60 weeks.
- More than 88% of Brookline College students use some form of financial aid(3) to help cover the cost of their education(4). That’s why we offer personalized counseling from a Student Finance Advisor to help make your college experience more affordable.
- We have also provided The Net Price Calculator that will provide preliminary, non-binding estimates of federal, state, and institutional aid eligibility based on federal methodology.
(3) Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
(4) Percentage calculated by Brookline College for the 2015-16 school year.
We want to be sure your career goals are in line with your selected program of study. Our admission process will help you understand our programs and the career expectations in the field.
Five Simple Steps:
- Visit the campus. See what Brookline and the Surgical Technology program is all about.
- Complete a Visitor Information Form.
- Complete a financial aid interview to develop a financial plan.
- Complete the Enrollment Agreement with an Admissions Representative to include collecting all necessary documentation.
- Meet with the Director of Education, or an appropriate Department Director to discuss any unusual enrollment circumstances or accommodations needed to successfully complete the program.
Once all requirements have been completed, the Director of Admissions, Director of Education, and Campus Director reviews the application for approval. Applicants are notified of their acceptance promptly.
Surgical technologists, also called operating room technicians or scrub techs, are an integral part of the healthcare team, working under the supervision of a surgeon assisting in surgical operations. Prior to an operation, they help prepare the operating room, set up surgical instruments, sterile drapes, and assemble and check surgical equipment. They ensure that the operating room is safe, that equipment functions properly and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety.
Accreditation is the recognition that an institution maintains the standards required to achieve the credentials for professional practice. It is the status granted to an institution that meets or exceeds specific criteria of educational quality as defined by the accrediting agency.
- Institutional Accreditation: Brookline College’s Phoenix, Tucson, Tempe, and Albuquerque campuses are accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Brookline College has been approved by Arizona to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. For more information, visit: http://nc-sara.org/
- Programmatic Accreditation: Programmatic accreditation, also known as specialized or professional accreditation, is designed for specialized departments, programs, schools, or colleges within a university or institution that has already received accreditation.
The Baccalaureate degree program in nursing and Master’s degree program in nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington DC 20001. 202-887-06791.
The BSN pre-licensure program is fully approved by the New Mexico Board of Nursing, nmbon.sks.com.
Brookline College - Tempe Campus
1140 S. Priest Drive
Tempe, AZ 85281
M-Th 8:00AM – 8:00PM
F 8:00AM – 5:00PM
You will know what you’re going to pay right from the beginning and it won’t change during your education. That’s our promise to you.(5)(5) Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
You’ll learn from qualified instructors who are committed to your success in the classroom. With small class sizes, you’ll interact closely with your faculty as they teach, coach and mentor you through your time of study.
Understanding the options you have to pay for school is important, and without help it can be overwhelming. Our staff will guide you through the process. From scholarships and grants to loans, we’re here to help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid. Learn More
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.(6)(6) Brookline College cannot guarantee employment